July 14, 2007

A Life of Hypocrisy

I wonder how often it has been said that Christians are hypocrites. I know I have heard it more than once, but I really don't think it is necessarily true. A hypocrite is one who claims to posses things they do not themselves have. As Christians we are claiming to have the righteousness of Christ, but often we fail to posses that righteousness because we have chosen to walk in a direction other than we should. That does not make Christians hypocrites. It does, however, mean that we have blown it and have made the wrong choice. We are sinners just like the rest of the world. In the same manner, when we have failed at something we have attempted, that does not mean that we are hypocrites. It means we have failed...doesn't everyone fail at things once in a while?

I know for me I have often felt like I have lived a life that is very hypocritical...but the reality is, I am striving for the goal and pressing on toward the upward call of Christ Jesus. I live each day in an attempt to die to myself and to allow God to use me as He would desire. There will be times when I will fail and somewhere along the way I will make mistakes...that does not mean that I am a fraud; it means that I have missed the mark that I was striving for. But there is then hope for a new day and a new start; for God's mercies are new every morning!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So grateful to God for new days and new starts. I have failed...

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that you taught me something! Yay! Your blog really made me stop and think...how true, how true. Love ya girlie!!