July 10, 2007

The Road Not Taken

I heard this poem once and I came across it again this week. It makes me wonder how the things I choose have affected my life and others lives as well. Here is the poem. You can decide for yourself what you want to do with it...

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.


As I contemplate this poem, I am reminded of the section of Scripture from Joshua chapter 8:30-35. God offers us life and it is up to us what we will do with that offer. We have the option to "CHOOSE LIFE" as He so desperately wants us to do. But then we also have the opportunity to choose against Him and in turn choose death. I don't know much, but I do know that each of the choices we make produces consequences, some for the good and some for the bad. I have chosen life as I have chosen to follow Christ and that is definitely the "road less traveled by", but it has certainly made all the difference in my life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes...good poem and thanks to Ms. "Marshall" Fraiser-Bear!

~Heather