July 22, 2007

The Injustice of it All

Stop and consider for a moment what it would have been like to be a Jew during the time of the Holocaust. Imagine having to go into hiding because your very safety was threatened. Imagine having all that was familiar to you stripped away solely because of your ethnicity. Imagine being separated from your family and having to live not knowing whether they were alive or dead. Imagine living in filth and surrounded by disease not knowing when you would get your next meal. Imagine...

The story of Anne Frank is told in such a powerful way in the film "Anne Frank". I watched it for the first time last night and was horrified at what I saw. How could any human being treat another with such disdain? This film, however, showed only a part of what it must have been like for those who were taken to concentration camps during the time of the Holocaust. I am sure that the real thing was even worse, though I cannot even begin to imagine. I really do not understand what would allow someone to think that they had the authority to cause so much harm and pain to other human beings; no one has such a right!

I understand as well that the story of Anne Frank is just one of thousands of stories just like it. It really makes me wonder if anything could have been done to prevent such a horrific thing. I don't know the answer to that, but I do know that Romans 8 says that "All things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purposes". It may seem insensitive for me to make such a comment, but the reality of it is just the same. I know that greater things were accomplished through such an event than could have ever been accomplished apart from it. I do not claim to understand the hearts of those who have had to endure such a tragedy, nor do I pretend to know what it was like for those who never made it out of those prisons alive. I do however trust that through all of the evil, good has come...I place my trust in the Living God who works all according to His plan. What was meant for evil He can make good!

No comments: