December 12, 2007

The Little Bundles of Joy

Sixth graders. A lot of people avoid them like the plague and I, I must admit, used to be one of them. But, God has kind of forced me into teaching at a middle school where I get to hang out with sixth graders all day. Who would have thought?

Today I got to meet, learn the names of, and talk to the kids that will be mine in a few weeks. They got to ask me questions and at first I thought this could be a dangerous thing, but they were really sweet...and one of them even has the same birthday as me!!! I thought that was awesome! They are UCLA fans, but I of course had to go with the rival USC...that was quite entertaining. I thought all 36 (yes I know...I have already thought about starting my own baseball team with them) of them were going to jump me. Mr. Palacios (the teacher they have until Friday) has them trained well...or should I say poorly, since he trained them to root for UCLA....:)

I am quite a bit less anxious and nervous now that I have met my kids and have seen what they are like. Tomorrow I get to spend the entire day in the room with them. I look forward to that as it will give me a chance to get to know them better and make connections with them. They seem to be a good bunch. I know that I will have to show them that I am in charge and that they cannot get away with what they think they can, but I have a good feeling about all of this. Sixth graders don't scare me!!!! :)

3 comments:

PotBelliedGoddess...or Heather said...

That's so cool that you had a good day! Also, I had no idea that you had a preference in college football...lol. I am proud of you and you're right, 6th graders are nothing to be afraid of. 3 year olds are.

Danny said...

Hehehe Thats nice Mrs.Larue.

shahin said...

were nithin to be afraid of......


......most of the time