April 24, 2008

In the Course of a Lifetime

In the course of a lifetime, what does it matter? This is a quote from a book that I am reading with my students. It is a wonderful book. Even as an adult, I think everyone should read it. Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech…get it, read it, think hard on some of the morals in the story… amazing!

I asked my students to choose one thing in their life that REALLY mattered to them. With that one thing they were to write an essay about how that one thing would matter over the course of a lifetime. Some of the essays were quite interesting and some heartfelt. So, I decided to do the same. Choose one thing that matters to me and examine it in respect to the course of a lifetime…..

Some of the things that are important to me are: first and foremost, my Jesus, my family, my friends, my cell phone (seems like I cannot live without it), my career, being married and having a family someday, writing a book, my Tigger (Hey, he is awesome ok?), and of course tea (did you know that 3 days without food is better than one day without tea?) All of these things seem to be crucial in the everyday doings of my life, but in reality, are they really?

In the course of a lifetime, I don’t think some of these things really matter. Some of them, however, do. Take, for instance, my career. It has been my passion, my purpose in life. I have never thought of doing anything else. If I stop and consider how this matters in the course of a lifetime, I believe that it matters significantly. When I take into consideration how many children will have gone through my classroom in a lifetime, it is such an awesome thing… I have the opportunity to help mold and shape the lives of the many children I have the pleasure of teaching. I think my job is very important and has the potential to change the lives and affect eternity. I pray that I can do them justice and can make a difference in the lives of at least some of them.

As I think about Jesus and how much my life has been changed by Him, I put things into perspective. I have not been the best at living for eternity and making the things I do, matter. In the course of my lifetime I want it to be said of me that I did everything I could to make a difference for eternity. It is a privilege to be able to share what I know with those I care about. It could make all the difference.

I now take a step back to stop and think about the things I spend my time on. What am I pouring my energy into? I realize all I do should be thought about in respect to eternity. In the course of a lifetime will what I do today matter in the long run? I hope that all I do matters….

4 comments:

Extreme Gardener said...

Can't live without tea! I agree. I'm glad you love the Lord so much.

maddie✟ said...

wow
good job thats an A+ LOL
and yes tea is the bomb so is tigger!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!