April 06, 2008

Mere Christianity

Mere Christianity...seems like such a paradox, but in reality it IS that simple. I finished reading the book yesterday, it was quite good. There were some things that made me think and made me take a step back and examine my heart; I think that is why I liked the book so much.

This book made me think about things that I don't often think about. Take evolution, for example: I have never thought about the fact that if evolution were true, which it is not, then we as the human race would be continuing to evolve into the "next best thing". If evolution is true then it would not stop at a mere human; it would continue morphing the human race into unthinkable things. Hmmm....interesting... it is no wonder we have not seen laughing dogs and talking cats.

Yet another aspect of this book got me thinking. 'God', as C.S. Lewis says, 'is in the process of forcing us on and up, to a higher level: putting us into situations where we will have to be very much braver, or more patient, or more loving, than we ever dreamed of being before.' This is quite interesting to me. Though I find it quite true, I don't necessarily like it. But the trouble is, if I don't go through the things He has for me, I will never get to the place where He wants me. I have discovered that He often requires us to leave our comfort zones to answer our callings. This makes me wonder what He is doing with me now...

As I face the possibility of being unemployed and still do not know where I am supposed to call my home church, I wonder what He is up to. I sometimes think I cannot handle any more change... but just then God does a change-up. He is definitely teaching me that thing called trust. God rarely polishes us and perfects us in the parameters of the familiar...I must always keep that in mind.

God desires a people set apart for His name, ones that are devoted to Him. I am intrigued by that and desire to search out His heart. I can really only do that when I am allowing Him to move and remove me from the things He sees as a hindrance to my growth. Though I do not fully understand, and often times I only go kicking and screaming, I know that He knows best. It may sound like a cliche, but it really is true.

The beauty of the reality of it all: it really is simply Mere Christianity.

No comments: