May 23, 2008

Rise up to the Challenge!

At a retirement party today, one of the teachers gave a speech. In her speech she said that over a lifetime you should always be willing to try new things; things that challenge and stretch you. You grow, she said, much more when you choose to pursue things that you never thought you could, or wanted, to do. How true that is!

I NEVER, in my wildest dreams, thought I would be teaching sixth grade. But now, I am not only teaching sixth grade, but I truly enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, the subject matter is a bit challenging at times, but I still love it just the same. Today I realized that I am going to miss my class SO VERY much. I don't want to send them on to seventh grade. Can I just keep them forever????


It has occured to me that if I had never taken on the challenge to do something that stretched (and yes, I admit, SCARED the poo out of) me, I never would have had the unspeakable joy of meeting such amazing 11 and 12 year olds. God truly blessed me with the best class there could ever be. I am thankful I have had this chance; I just wish it could have lasted a little bit longer.


Now, as the season changes I must face whatever challenge comes my way. I must be willing to be challenged and stretched; so much good can come if I am. What will the next challenge be? Kindergartners? They scare me as much as sixth graders! :)

No comments: