January 29, 2009

I Think I'm in Trouble

Today I introduced my students to the Cannonball read, but I put a little bit more of a twist on it. I told them that I would also be participating, and that I challenged them to each read 100 books before I read 100 books. Of course I did not tell them that I could not possibly read 100 books by the end of the school year (4 months from now), but it sure put a fire under their little tushies! All they wanted to do today is read, read, read! I will do my very best to read as many books as I possibly can, but I think I might be in a bit of trouble; their books, you see, are like 30 pages each... mine have to be 200 or more! Any suggestions??

I am putting up a chart with each of our names on it and a little bar graph so that at any moment they can see how many more books they have to read until they get to 100. They can also see how far BEHIND Miss La Rue is! :) This will hopefully motivate them even more to press on with the reading business! I am willing to be humiliated by third graders reading more books than me if will cause them to love to read; I'll take one for the team! :)

No comments: