June 22, 2009

Beholding is Becoming

Deuteronomy 10:16-17 gives us a very specific command.  It challenges us to "Circumcise [our] hearts therefore, and do not be stiff-necked any longer.  For the Lord your God, is the God of gods and the Lord of lords, the GREAT GOD MIGHTY AND AWESOME!" This is part of the verse that I am memorizing right now.  I have been working on it for a little while now, but today something made me wonder...

The fourth word in this verse says "therefore".  To me that means that because of something previously stated, we should be moved to circumcise our hearts.  So what is the thing that has taken place that should cause me to circumcise my heart; to cut away anything at all that is hindering me from reaching heights with God?

Verse fifteen explains it very clearly.  It says that God has chosen me (and all of us) and set His affection on me and all of those who have come before me.  And because of this act of love that He so willingly gave, I should be allowing my heart to be molded and shaped into the things that are pleasing to Him.  This is a huge challenge and not an easy task, but it is required if any ground is to be gained on this spiritual journey. 

So, in light of God's Word, I am asking Him to help me and empower me to remove all the things that hinder me from meeting with Him and hearing from Him.  I am pleading with Him to get up in my business and remove the junk that I have placed in my heart... 

Will you join me in praying a dangerous prayer?  "God enlighten me to see myself in light of Your Word, to see myself for who I really am so that I can allow You to change me and circumcise my heart to be beautiful for You!"   

1 comment:

Iyana said...

Hi!! Remember me??? It's Iyana! I just wanted to say hi, and how's it going???