May 25, 2015

Because of His Grace

Because of His grace I am many things that I would not have been otherwise.  His grace has changed me; made me into who I am today.  It has offered me things that I would have never had the opportunity to experience, save for Him.

Because of His grace I am redeemed and free.  Because of His grace I have a living hope that never fades away.  Because of His grace I have an inheritance reserved and waiting for me.  Because of His grace I can greatly rejoice even in the midst of trials trying to bring me down.  I have been handed multitudes of blessings because of His grace.

But if I was honest, I would admit that His grace could have done so much more in me, more than I have allowed it to do.  But because of myself, I have not experienced the fullest measure of His grace.  I stand in my own way.

1 Peter 2:1-3 reminds me that I need to put aside all malice, deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and evil speaking and desire the Word of God.  Have I put all of these things aside and pressed on to pursue the truth of God's Word?  Have I allowed all He has done for me through His grace to cause me to lay aside all that hinders me?  There are times when I can honestly say I have.  But more often than not, I turn my eyes to myself and fall back into the trap of letting these things pull me back to where I used to be. 

God's grace has given me new life.  And because of His grace, I must put aside all that hinders. My desire should be none other than the truth of the Word of God.  When I turn to focus on all God has done for me, I no longer have room to exhibit malice and deceit and hypocrisy and envy.  I have nothing but room for God.  He is all I want anyway.  The rest of it is pointless.

No comments: