June 03, 2015

Reflecting His Sacrifice

I have always known (since I became a believer) that Christ died for my sins. I knew He did that for me. It is because of who He is that He willingly died so I did not have to. But today something really sunk in about the gravity of what that really means. 

1 Peter 2:24 says that "He Himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by His wounds you have been healed." Did you catch that? He willingly gave His life so I could die to my sin.  This really struck a cord in me.  I am grieved in heart because I realized that every time I choose to sin and willingly give up the privilege to choose righteousness, I am saying that what He did on the cross for me was for nothing.  I am yelling from the rooftops that my sin is more important to me than what Christ has done.  

Of course that is not how I feel, but that is exactly what I am saying when I choose not to walk in righteousness.  He has healed me from the curse of sin and I have a choice.  I can choose to turn towards Him and follow after righteousness because of what He has done for me, or I can choose to walk in my sin and say that what He has done for me is of no consequence.  I choose the former.  

Because of His surrender to death on a cross,  I want to walk in righteousness.  I know the gift of life He has given to me is the most precious gift I will ever receive; I don't want to live as if it does not matter. He has offered up the ultimate sacrifice and my life needs to reflect its weight.  Nothing I would ever choose is more important than what He has already given me.  Nothing.

No comments: