August 20, 2016

He is the Goal

So you want to do great things for God?  You want to bear fruit and show that you are devoted to Him?  There is a way. To make that happen though, it may not be how you think.

I have spent most of my Christian life "doing" for God.  I always seem to find things I can do for Him; to bear the fruit I think I should.  But is that what He asks me to do?  In John 15, Jesus reminds us to abide in Him and we will then bear the fruit that we desire.

But I think we often have it backwards.  We "do" for God and think this is the vehicle in which we remain.  When really, the only way for us to bear the fruit we desire is to remain intimate with Christ. When we take the time to read our Bibles and do what it says, we then find ourselves bearing the fruit we have strived to produce all along.

This is such a sweet reminder for me because I often forget.  I keep the busy pace of life, thinking all the while, that I am remaining in Christ.  But in reality, I am far from Him.  When I continue to go, go, go in the name of "serving", I miss what He intended for me.  Because I have not taken the time to sit with Him and just soak Him all in, I miss the target.

However, when I make intimacy with Christ my ultimate goal, I will bear more fruit than I ever thought possible.  I will see Him at work in me more than ever before.  And the fruit I tried to produce on my own will start to flourish.  I just have to remember that He is the goal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! Always! Abide!

Diwakar said...

Hello Fishlicity. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. Your post on "He is the Goal" is very thoughtful and how often I fall in to such a trap of doing for God but what is needed is intimacy with Christ which turns it around and then what we do is to honor God by making ourelf available. I am blessed by your sharing. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honored to get conneted with you as well as know you through your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 37yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and th adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come with your friends to Mumbai to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have alife changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, yourfamily and friends.